Tuesday 6 October 2009

Pipe Tobacco: Gawith and Hoggarth No. 25 Blend (5/10)

I realise I've been inundating you all with many middle-of-the-road scoring tobaccos, and the No. 25 Blend by Gawith and Hoggarth is unfortunately another to add to the growing list, scoring 5/10.

The major problem with the tobacco is how thinly cut it is- indeed I suspect one could use it in a rollie. As a result, it smokes quickly and quite hot, which is unfortunate. When I did manage to slowly puff my pipe at a decent temperature for this tobacco, the flavours were really quite nice. The blend contains 53% Virginia, 17% light burley, 10% dark sun-cured and what really gives it a kick; 20% Latakia. Latakia is quite possibly the most intensely-flavoured tobacco in existence- Indeed most people cannot stomach smoking pure latakia, but in this particular blend, it is very nice. I would also add that the blend has no harsh or undesirable aftertaste. If it didn't smoke so damned hot, it would be really nice.
  • Flavour: 7/10
  • Smoke Sweetness: 4/10
  • Tar (1=very wet, 10=very dry): 5/10
  • Value for Money: 5/10
  • Indulgence Factor: 5/10
  • Overall Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment