Friday 6 February 2009

Pipe Tobacco: American Whiskey (9/10)

I must say that I was slightly skeptical when purchasing this particular tobacco- it was indicated to me that although it had a few dedicated followers, it was not the best selling tobacco that Jim had in the market. In addition, I tend to vie away from anything that has American in the name, or worse still, with the spelling of Whisky with an 'e'. Everyone knows Scotch Whisky is far superior to any 'Whiskey.' My fears immediately disappeared when I took my first puff of this delectable tobacco.

The American Whiskey, by makers Gawith and Hoggarth, features a thick smoke, slightly sweet but incredibly flavourful. I detected the slightest hints of vanilla and almond, and of course, whisk(e)y tones that were quite delightful. It almost tasted buttery to me, but in a smooth and mellow way. The tobacco did feature quite a lot of tar, but it did not hurt the aroma in any way as some tars do. I certainly recommend that every pipe smoker try this particular tobacco. It is certainly a contender for my favourite- up there with the Coniston Cut Plug.
  • Flavour: 9/10
  • Smoke Sweetness: 6/10
  • Tar (1=wet, 10=dry): 3/10
  • Value for Money: 7/10
  • Indulgence Factor: 9/10
  • Overall Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment