Thursday 15 January 2009

Pipe Tobacco: Coniston Cut Plug (9/10)

Although I am often found smoking a cigar, it is my pipe that has always been my true pleasure. Over the years I have tried many different tobaccos (over 50 at last count) and Coniston Cut Plug by Gawith and Hoggarth has consistently remained amongst my favorites. Its composition is about three quarters dark-fired leaf, with the remainder split equally between Virginia and Burley. Many tobaccos are described as having a full flavor, but few provide the depth that this cut plug achieves. It is a long and slow smoking tobacco, that stays lit remarkably well compared to most other pipe tobaccos. If you are new to smoking pipes, it can be found quite strong and, silly though it may sound, smoky. The other flavor that some find off-putting, are the floral tones that almost seem to contain a soapy quality. Once more, this seems to bother the newer smoker far more than the experienced. There is an aromatic version available, but I will leave my fellow contributer to discuss that in greater depth as he is far more of a fan than I. It is available in plug or cut plug form, but unless you have a great deal of time and enjoy chopping tobacco, I strongly recommend that you buy it ready cut. This is a wonderful pipe tobacco. If you haven't tried it, go and buy a pouch full, today, and if your local tobacconist doesn't stock it, ask them to. It is well worth it.

  • Flavour: 8/10
  • Smoke Sweetness: 5/10
  • Tar: 5/10
  • Value for Money: 7/10
  • Indulgence Factor: 8/10
  • Overall Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment