Wednesday 15 April 2009

Pipe Tobacco: Louisiana Flake (6/10)

There is absolutely nothing wrong in any way with the Kendal Louisiana Flake by Gawith and Hoggarth... but... I cannot say it is a favourite. The Louisiana is air cured and made of a blend of Virginia and perique tobaccos. I am not considerably knowledgeable about different tobacco types, but I do know that periques tend to be quite strong and spicy.

Strong and spicy is exactly what the Louisiana Flake is... indeed the name is quite apt and the tobacco is comparable to a jambalaya in flavour, or gumbo (though thankfully there is no taste of old boot). It is slightly sweet, and I would say has a distinct savoury spiced nuttiness. The Gawith and Hoggarth website claims the Louisiana Flake has a chocolaty flavour, though I didn't experience that myself with this tobacco. The smoke is quite thick and strong and although seasoned pipe-smokers might love it, I suggest trying lighter tobaccos first if you are new to smoking a pipe. If you want to try something strong in flavour and nicotine-buzz, definitely give the Louisiana Flake a try.
  • Flavour: 9/10
  • Smoke Sweetness: 3/10
  • Tar (1=wet, 10=dry): 6/10
  • Value for Money: 6/10
  • Indulgence Factor: 5/10
  • Overall Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment