Saturday 7 March 2009

Pipe Tobacco: Ultimum (8/10)

Terribly sorry for not posting in a while, I have been ill, and TheGreatPhDExperiment has been busy... but here we go:

According to our sources (Jim, the tobacconist), the Ultimum pipe tobacco by Gawith and Hoggarth is relatively new, and supposedly in response to the success of the popular Peter Stockebye tobacco entitled Optimum.

I have to say I really quite enjoyed this tobacco. I was slightly skeptical on seeing it (I'm not one for trendy names labelling tobaccos), but upon smelling it in the jar in the tobacconist, I was quite taken by the aroma and decided to buy some. I have to say I was also quite pleased with the way it smokes. There is a distinct butterscotch flavour to the Ultimum, and it is very lightly sweetened without causing the dryness of the mouth than many not-so-sweet tobaccos seem to cause. The Ultimum is quite tarry, but with a good pint it is not a problem. I would suspect that this tobacco would be an excellent accompaniment to a whiskey old fashioned or a Manhattan for those who are so inclined, and will be trying this theory out myself in short time.

  • Flavour: 8/10
  • Smoke Sweetness: 6/10
  • Tar (1=wet, 10=dry): 3/10
  • Value for Money: 7/10
  • Indulgence Factor: 8/10
  • Overall Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment